Presenting minimodern. The affordable modern housing program


I made this the other day with some poplar plywood, 1/8 thick cherry wood for the fron panel, walnut, maple plywood floors and real glass. The house features an open plan, clear views and even a sliding sunroof. Options for the front door included copper, wood and painted glass in bright red color (from the inside, so it will look like lacquer from the outside. Everything was cool and dandy and I was very happy with the results. 'til I decided to stain the wood. big mistake. I did it late at night, outside ('cause the fumes, you know!) next morning when I went to check my masterpiece... total disaster! blotchy, black stain that looked like shhh!t. tried to sand it with no results. The stain went too deep on the raw wood. I threw it away. Need to find a way to make it easy, new construction method needs to be implemented, simplify the process, leave the wood as is, find a better/easier way to support the glass (the prior way, included handmade columns/brakets/posts that took 30 minutes to do each one! and forget about the moonroof! Think more Philip Johnson: Glass House, New Canaan, CT, 1949 instead of Eichler. Live and learn.

Joel is a contributor on Design-Milk's weekly architectural posts and Apartment Therapy's Unplggd daily technology posts.