They don't make it like they used to



Well, I tell you, after I fell in love with an Eames LCW in black stained veneer, I needed to order a pair from our secret supplier Highbrow Furniture. We got the chairs (these are low chairs but not small) loved them and everything was dandy... 'til one day after a party, my wife discover what is seems to be a dust flake of some sorts... to our shock, it wasn't dust. The paint was peeling! That's right, PAINT! These new re-editions are not aniline dyed but painted so the paint was flaking out the wood, exposing the white veneer underneath. I have seen 1950's original black aniline dyed that looked better that our 2 month old set! We started panicking!!... After a friendly conversation with Stan, the owner of Highbrow Furniture, he said, to send them back. He will pick the Fedex delivery... but I didn't have the boxes... so he sent me replacement chairs first.... this time in dark walnut and no stain (paint). I only have to put the old chairs inside the new boxes. That's what I call service! Neddless to say, I'm happy now and better that we have the walnut finish.... more warmer and inviting than the black ones...

Joel is a contributor on Design-Milk's weekly architectural posts and Apartment Therapy's Unplggd daily technology posts.